Winter Crops

 Winter can be harsh on the farm if temperatures and snow are issues where you live. Water buckets and troughs can freeze, more bedding is needed for outdoor animals, and many things just can't grow in the winter time. Much like humans, plants need warmth, sunshine, and water. 


There are a few plants that do well in winter and many can be planted in the late winter season. Root vegetables do well as long as the ground temperatures stay above freezing. Green leafy vegetables can do well in colder temperatures also. Vegetables like leeks, swiss chard, collard greens, even Brussel sprouts can be hearty winter vegetables. Turnips and radishes are other ones that have a high tolerance for the winter cold as well. 


Kale prefers winter cold and will actually taste better as the temperatures get colder. I recommend planting it in late August or early September so that it has time to start to grow before the cold hits, but I also recommend that you allow some cold time for it to grow in order to get the full flavor of it. Kale is a very hardy winter crop. 




Garlic is another crop that does best if planted in late fall and allowed to grow until spring. If you plant it in the fall and add a good layer of mulch to it for the cold winter, you will have a hardy crop of garlic come spring. This is a great way to begin the summer season of pasta salads and other meals that require garlic.  I personally have never raised garlic, but I have known others that have. 




Beets are known to grow best and taste the best if they are planted 6-8 weeks before the first frost. They will survive the winter cold well again with a layer of mulch to protect the roots during the coldest winter weather. The plants will produce quite nicely when allowed to grow like this. Beets are one of my very favorite foods! My grand doll and I greatly enjoy them and we will have several plants this year of these delicious purple- red veggies.



For many that garden, winter seems to be the time that nothing grows or can be planted. However, with a little guidance, a little more mulch, and some experience, you can garden throughout the winter months as well. This preparation will keep you growing vegetables all year long. 

These are all Google Free Images.


If you have not joined Sandra at Diary of a Stay At Home Mom, you should hop over and see what Blog 365 is all about!



Comments

  1. I had no idea which plants have a cold tolerance, except for cabbage. Good to know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been looking into raising more crops and winter is always a challenge for me.

      Delete
  2. You must be a little ahead of us. I put in my leafy greens early -- but not January!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking into planting more crops throughout the year

      Delete
  3. I thought I was going to do a nice fall garden this year but all the creatures had other ideas and thought I'd put out a nice buffet dinner for them. Interesting reading, I'm just starting to thumb through the garden catalogs as they arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it is time to be buying seed. I am sorry that your fall garden fell victim to the animals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the first year that I've grown leeks and kale. But I have noticed they are doing better since it's gotten cooler. My garlic is doing we too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment and I will gladly read all of your comments and do my best to respond.

Popular posts from this blog

A Grandson

Something is Falling From The Sky

Happy Homemaker Monday - Jan. 15,2024