The Best Seed Catalogs - Blog 365 _ Day 24

It is cold outside and we are possibly on the brink of a winter storm hitting, so why would I be talking of gardens? Winter is a great time to start planning your summer garden and it is a great time to learn about some new varieties of plants that you could have in the garden this year. You could spend hours on the internet or in the library reading of these things, plus ordering online seems to be the only way to do things these days, but there is a joy about thumbing through the pages of a seed catalog, 

 Maybe it is the sight of the brightly colored flowers and other plants that make this enjoyable, especially as the cold and snowy weather is blowing outside. Maybe the photo with the description that is the heart of the catalog is exactly what will make you decide to plant that in your garden this summer. Seed catalogs can be as exciting for a gardener as the old department store catalog was to a kid at Christmas time. 

 Yes, you can view them online, but I still feel that a print catalog is the best way to shop for seeds. Many companies now ask that you go to their website to request a catalog and that is almost their way of having the best of both worlds as you are sure to look around at the website first. You might even return to it while waiting on the catalog. Seed companies have made it much easier to order and given those that need the flexibility of ordering in order to have the seeds in a more timely matter, which is important to some families, but I still prefer a print catalog. 

 Is there a difference in the seed catalogs that you might choose to order from? Yes, there are multiple companies out there and I will share my  favorites here and my reason why they are my favorite. I am not saying these are the only companies, just sharing a few of the ones that I personally have found to be the best.

 1.  Burpee Seed Company
           
           If you have ever purchased seeds anywhere in the United States, you could have easily have purchased Burpee seeds. This well known and well trusted American company has been around since 1876. Burpee is known worldwide and has offered a large variety of flowers and vegetables for many years. This catalog is published annually and will often arrive shortly after the first of the year. If you are interested in a catalog, click here

2. Annie's Heirloom Seeds
        
        Annie's Heirlooms is another place that my family has ordered from for many years. They have a proven track record for offering some of the best heirloom and non GMO seeds in the world. In business for over 50 years, they offer an online or print catalog available here. Click on catalog and it will give you the option to download a catalog or order a print one. 
         I prefer their organic potatoes and their heirloom tomatoes over most any other company. As with Burpee, they offer seeds for every growing region and season. They offer tools and other supplies as well as seeds. 

3. Bear Creek 
       
        This company is one that I learned of a few years ago and I can now say is one of my top three go to companies. With over 1,000 types of rare seeds for beautiful flowers, amazing vegetables and herbs, Bear Creek is certainly making their way in the seed industry. Another perk is that they offer free shipping on all orders within the US. While on their website, check out the new seeds that are being offered for the first time in 2023. WOW! is my only word and you can bet some of these are on my list for purchasing this month. You can order a catalog here.

4. Burrell Seeds
        
        In business since 1902, Burrell has become another favorite. This seed company still sends the amount of seeds that a large farm family would have received many years ago. This makes them a better option if you are looking for a larger amount of vegetables, herbs, or flowers. Rhubarb is one of my favorites from here. I also have found that we enjoy beets that we have purchased from here. if you are interested in ordering a catalog, here is where to find the magic.

5. Park Seeds
    
         Park Seeds is my go to for flowers. My grandparents last name was Park so when I found this company I immediately knew I had to try them. You can order yours here. They offer one of the best selections of flower seeds as well as many fruits and vegetables. 

I would highly recommend that if you are a gardener, you check these companies out. You are certain to find something that you will want in your garden. 







        
        

Comments

  1. I love looking at seed catalogs in the winter. It's amazing how the size of the garden seems to grow in my mind as I do. Also, while I haven't ordered from Baker's Creek yet, I got their catalog last year and loved it. Their company is located in the sw part of Missouri so I'm really hoping to find time for a day trip this spring/early summer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment and I will gladly read all of your comments and do my best to respond.

Popular posts from this blog

A Grandson

Something is Falling From The Sky

Happy Homemaker Monday - 1/8/24