Grandmother Achievement Day - Feb. 11, 2023

 There seems to be a national day for everything any more and today is no different. As I was thinking about what I would write today, I decided to look up national days and look at what I found today is. National Grandmother Achievement Day. A day to celebrate our grandmothers! How exciting for me as a grandmother. 

As many of you are aware, I am mammaw (grandma) of two sweet little girls and we are adding another child in July. The first two came as huge shocks and i struggled a lot with the birth of the second one. The oldest is my mini me! Her and I love to travel, have tea parties, play, etc. We are two peas in a pod as my grandma would say. I love both of them dearly and they could never understand the love I have for them. 

I also thought of my own grandmothers. My maternal grandma was Edna and she was a huge role in my life growing up. She loved to crochet, knit, and craft. She was a good cook and she enjoyed her time with us. She also loved to camp and took me often, which is why I still love to camp. She was married to the love of her life, who happened to be a milkman. They were so good together and showed me what a real marriage was like.  My paternal grandma was known as Granny. Her name was Rachel and she lived in Virginia. She was a good Southern woman. We have so many memories of going to visit her and playing with my cousins there. ( My mom was an only child so we did not have cousins near us.) Granny canned and cooked. I remember a wood stove for heat and she lived next to the railroad so we always tried to get the train engineer to blow the whistle for us. 

Do you have fond memories of your grandmothers?


Grandmother Achievement Day is observed every year on February 11 and is the perfect opportunity to celebrate our beloved grandmothers. A grandmother is the mother of an individual’s mother and father. She is one’s paternal grandmother if she is the mother of a person’s father, and maternal grandmother if she is the mother of a person’s mother. The role of grandmothers in general culture is so rich that they take very active roles in raising and taking care of young children. They are usually as much an option to children as the mothers of those children. In cases where parents are unavailable or otherwise indisposed to giving adequate care to their children, grandparents — especially grandmothers — are seen to assume the role of primary caregivers. In many cultures, grandmothers often have direct involvement in the care and nurturing of children. They are usually second-degree relatives to their grandchildren.








Blog 365

Comments

  1. What would we do without memories of our grandmothers? I think they may help shape our personalities. And it is true that the grandchildren can never comprehend a grandparents love until they are grandparents themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My father's parents had passed away before I was born. I do remember my mom's mom though. She was very sweet and I still have her letters though she was much older by the time I came along as well. Glad you enjoy your granddaughters so much!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment and I will gladly read all of your comments and do my best to respond.

Popular posts from this blog

A Grandson

Something is Falling From The Sky

Happy Homemaker Monday - Jan. 15,2024