Chili For A Cold Day

 I am sharing the post that I made for my WordPress blog today as I feel that it is a nice addition to the farmhouse blog as well. 

Chili For A Cold Day

Edit

My husband has many food ideas and there are certain foods that he only wants when it is cold and many of those are what most people consider comfort foods. Foods like chili, roast, beef stew, and many soups are generally considered comfort foods and many people eat these year-round, but not in our household. These foods are winter, cold day foods to him. So, with a forecast of snow in the air tonight and the fact that he wants left-overs for tomorrow, as I won’t be home, he wants chili tonight.

Chili can be made many different ways and with many different ingredients. I chose a very simple recipe today and I will share it with you as my cold day chili. I prefer to use deer burger in ours as we have it readily available in our freezer and we like the flavor it adds to the chili. I also like to add home canned tomato juice, if possible, which was not in this case. I intended to use home canned diced tomatoes but was given some store-bought diced chili ready tomatoes so that is what I used for today’s meal.

I am fortunate that we heat with wood most of the winter and so my woodstove can double as my stove this time of the year for foods like this. I enjoy the meals that are cooking while I am busy with other work. It also makes the day feel as though I have accomplished a bit more when dinner is already on cooking by 9 a.m. Many people do not have the luxury in doing that, but that is part of what I truly love about our life here on our small farm in the country.

Here is the recipe for my chili. Please know that you can make many adjustments to what you do with this recipe, but I prefer this one for today.

Cold Day Chili

1 pound of deer burger, fried and drained of any grease

1 small onion, diced

1 8 oz can of tomato sauce

1 8 oz can of chili ready diced tomatoes, although I prefer my own canned ones

2 15 oz cans of chili beans, I prefer to use the mild

2 tsp chili powder

1 tsp cumin

1 cup of water

Mix all ingredients together and let simmer most of the day. I never bring to a boil as I just want the flavors to simmer together and heat all of the ingredients. I cook macaroni separately and we each add what we want to our bowls, as well as crackers. I also always serve with a peanut butter sandwich, as it is the perfect addition to the meal and complements the flavor of the chili quite nicely.

Comments

  1. We had chili last night -- and you're right. It's perfect for a cold day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment and I will gladly read all of your comments and do my best to respond.

Popular posts from this blog

A Grandson

Something is Falling From The Sky

Happy Homemaker Monday - 1/8/24