Saturday 9: Brand New
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
Welcome to the first Saturday 9 of 2019!
1) As 2019 kicks off, what are your hopes for the brand new year?
A. I hope that our country can find peace and that people will learn that we are all humans and that we need to be more patient and kind.
2) Just because an item isn't brand new doesn't mean it isn't valuable. Have you scored any fabulous finds at a second hand store or website?
A. Yes! I recently went to a local flea market and found some great items to redecorate with as well as a precious little tea set for my grand doll and I.
3) This song is sung by The Stylistics, a group from Philadelphia. Have you ever been to Philly?
A. Yes, but it has been many years ago.
4) This song was co-written by Thom Bell, a Philadelphia-based musician/producer who was born in Kingston, Jamaica. The average daily temp in Kingston in January is 87º. Do you have plans to get away this winter and go somewhere warm?
A. We are hoping to go to Alabama in March to get into some warmer days than we will be having here.
5) The Stylistics took their choreography very seriously. As you can see from the video, they even carefully synchronized their hand movements. Do you use your hands much when you talk?
A. Sometimes but I try really hard not to.
6) The lyrics tell us that the singer is grateful for a friend who will walk with him along a path that "sometimes bends." Looking back on 2018, tell us about a time that life's path took a bend you didn't quite expect.
A. A dear friend of mine was very sick throughout the entire year and I hope that she and I can rejoice in her healing this year.
7) In 1974, when this song was popular, Chicago's Sears Tower opened and was for years the world's tallest building. Its elevators can carry you to the 103rd floor in approximately a minute. When were you last on an elevator?
A. When I went to see my husbands aunt in the hospital about a month ago.
8) Also in 1974, the 55 mph speed limit was imposed nationwide. When you drive, are you careful to stay within the speed limit? Or do you have a led foot?
A. I tend to have a lead foot. I try to be more cautious and aware of my speed, but I seem to always be running behind these days.
9) Random question -- It's time to pose for your Saturday 9 yearbook picture. Will you show us your right profile, your left profile, or will you look directly into the camera?
A. Not really sure.