Deecorating the Farm

My house doesn't really qualify as a farmhouse but it is the house here so I call it my farmhouse. When I think of a farmhouse, I think of a beautiful two story home with a large front porch with a swing and this is certainly not that. I have grown to love the place though and if I continue to do some of the plans that I have it will be my farmhouse minus the second story and the huge porch. Anyway, after Thanksgiving it was time to begin to decorate it for the holidays.

Christmas has always held a magic about it and the mood makes me happy. Sitting around the fireplace listening to Christmas music with my family or friends and a cup of hot tea or with a good book is about the best life anyone could live. I enjoy the tree in the wee hours of the morning when the house it silent except for the clicking of these computer keys as my fingers happily type my next blog post here.

I have never been much for decorating the outside of the home but I have done a few things in the past. This year it amounts to a air up snow family. Boring but all I have decided to do outside. I have some great plans next year though.

The inside is taking shape and I will do more later today as I finally have the fir tree that I desired. Last year, it was a pine tree and the needles were too prickly and dried too fast so this year we went with a fir tree. My hubby is big on having a real tree and I do enjoy them. We decided that the tree this year would not be as big in diameter as last year in order to fit in the room better.

The newly fallen snow added some excitement to the decorating. I hate that you can see the fence that is falling between our house and my daughters but it is there. One of the many projects for summer that never got done. We had snow flurries for three days and only a light dusting of snow, but I am thankful as there were many things to do. 
I like to welcome all who enter and so I placed this little guy near the front door to greet those that might come in to visit. He is standing to welcome them to take their coats off and stay awhile. I also like to keep shoes or boots near this area so he is seen daily.
This is on the cedar chest that my husband had made for me that I now use as a bench. I enjoy sitting here to take my shoes off to place by the door. 

My husband doesn't like to remove the window air unit in this room so we leave it in and usually cover with plastic but this year, I decided to place these cute table covers over it and place one of my favorite Christmas pieces near it. This Santa sleigh is a music box and I sure enjoy it! Notice the Christmas curtains as well. The look like a scene from a beautiful picture that my grandmother had for many years. 
Also, right in my entryway, you will find this cute little snowman display. The two ornaments hang there all year as they look good with the western shelf. Usually, that Christmas swag goes above my door but I really like it here. 
Enter my living room and the focus was on the fireplace, which should have been lit up for this photo. Snowmen are my favorites at Christmas and so I have a huge collection of them and here it begins. 

This curio cabinet was purchased to hold Mary Moo-Moo figurines but now holds a large collection of some of my favorite snowmen figurines. I love the western singing Santa that was purchased before we bought the farm and I found this sleigh in our attic and decided that Frosty needed to be sledding. 
This is the table that I sit near on most evenings. I decided that I am over this lamp but until I find a new one, it would get some garland on it. I love the Pink Zebra simmering light in the back. It just reminds me of old days of getting in the car and going to the woods and getting a tree. 

This is the top of the curio cabinet. I love the décor here as well and the picture is so calming to me. I love the little boy on the pony as it reminds me of my grand doll with her pony. 
The dining room has not gotten much more than a picture yet, but isn't is beautiful? Another one of my favorite pieces of the holidays. Who can resist a sleigh ride in the snow for Christmas?
Next my kitchen window, isn't this little lady just a cute reminder of Christmas on the farm? Burlap dress, cozy home and freshly fallen snow. 

The top of our fridge is always a mess. It seems as though stray items always find their way there. This year, I added a few decorations to it as well. I have looked everywhere for the flowers I purchased to change the daisies from and can't seem to locate them. I have a real poinsettia coming soon and it will go there, I guess. 



I found this adorable snowman paper towel holder at Goodwill and fell in love with him. Look at him tip his hat! This is the mobile island that I have, which I love and I thought the snowman candy dish worked well for holding those Cuties(small oranges). Notice Jolly Jingles, our scout elf, had appeared this particular morning here. He actually had the muffin tin and some berries out for the grand to have muffins for breakfast. (We love our elf but he can be mischievous)
Moving on to the bathroom, this may also be one of my favorite displays of the year. This farm related scene with a couple of snowmen added. I love this western Santa on the right. Notice the truck with the tree in the top right. I adore that picture!! I have been looking for towels with that same scene as I know the red truck is popular this year. 

This small collection of Santa figures are an auction treasure. I bought a box of items and these were in there. I would love to find an entire collection. Each one has a year on the front of it and they showcase how " Santa" has changed over the years. They are beautiful and I usually have them on the shelf above the sink, but since little one can now reach that shelf I decided they were safer on the shelf of this cabinet. 
Finally, the grand dolls room. Decorated with a small tree and a drummer boy light she is very well showing her holiday spirit. The green walls will soon be gone. The color was chosen by her momma several years ago and I just don't like it. This room serves as her room and my Pink Zebra office, so it is sometimes a hectic space and I need a calmer work environment. I love the silver tree skirt with this tree. 

This is the top of her bookcase, which was mine as a child. This display contains items that she can touch, hold, move around or even play with. Notice the photo of her mom with Santa a few years ago. She asks where mommy is throughout the day so I keep this here so she can see her. I added the fake snow as a cute addition because she loves snow! 

Finally, her shelf is changed throughout the year to go with different holidays. It simply reminds her of special times throughout the year and if the current month is not filled with a holiday then she has two small dolls that sit there or some animals. 

Well, that concludes the decorating for now. I will share more photos as the house finishes coming together for the holiday. Have a blessed Saturday!








Comments

  1. ...Christmas is a fun time to deck the halls, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carol, Wow, love your collection of snowmen and figurines. Nothing as welcoming as seeing these guys at the entrance. What a great vignette with your Santa and sleigh and those adorable Christmas curtains. It is such a beautiful winter scene. Lovely tour, you've inspired me to finish up my decorating. Have a wonderful weekend.....hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree - my feelings about Christmas exactly. I think I enjoy decorating as much as anything. Your little burlap snowman is just enchanting. You have something darling everywhere you look. How enchanting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone. I forgot to show the dining room window area and my computer desk. Of course, they are decorated too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thoroughly enjoyed the tour! It is so much fun peeking into other people's homes. I felt quite welcomed. Thank you for sharing.

    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are quite welcome Jeannie!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment and I will gladly read all of your comments and do my best to respond.

Popular posts from this blog

A Grandson

Something is Falling From The Sky

Happy Homemaker Monday - Jan. 15,2024