Snowy Saturday Farm Chores

 As I sit here deciding what I should write about, I look out our window and see snow. Now, it is simply a burst of snow flurries that is falling as it was raining just a few minutes ago when I let the dog out. It is at the freezing mark outside and so that is why it is now flurries. The temperature is to be around 42 degrees Fahrenheit today, so no chance of slick roads. That all said, I don't mind these snow flurries as they are short lived. 

As we move closer to January, the snow becomes more frequent, and the gloomy skies become even more frequent. This can lead to many struggling with seasonal depression or seasonal affective disorder.  I find myself struggling more when we go several days without sunshine. Our bodies need sunshine; we need vitamin D.  Here is a well written article on this disorder. I highly recommend reading it if you struggle in the wintertime with the loss of sunlight. Being on the farm and having early morning feedings and other chores to do, the loss of sunlight makes a huge difference in our lives, and I feel that I notice the loss of it much more. 


I am working today on farm related end of year items. I need to get all of our feed receipts and animals receipts in place and I need to finalize all of our records. I know the chicken coop needs to be cleaned as well. I also think that we need to add straw to the barn and some of the nesting boxes as the temperatures will surely be dropping soon and I want to be sure they are all taken care of. The chicken coop is beyond due for a cleaning and so it will be one of the first things on the list. Thankfully, my new coat will come in handy for that chore. My husband will help with it and hopefully, it won't take long to get that chore done. It is one that I enjoy in the spring and fall, but not so much this time of the year. 

Chores for the day include:

Clean chicken coop

Straw the barn and nesting boxes

Feed store run for chickens and cracked corn for pig

Farm records

Collect eggs

Feed

Change and clean waterers

Clean turkeys' eye and medicate


Some days it seems that the chores are more than what I prefer to do, but I would not exchange life here for anything. I love living my country life!













Comments

  1. Lovely post for the end of the year, my friend. Happy and Blessed New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment and I will gladly read all of your comments and do my best to respond.

Popular posts from this blog

A Grandson

Something is Falling From The Sky

Happy Homemaker Monday - 1/8/24