The Kentucky Derby- The Odds of Winning

For a tradition to continue 145 years is amazing and the Kentucky Derby has done just that. A horse race that begins the chase to the Triple Crown happens the first Saturday in May at Churchill Downs in Louisville, Kentucky. This race symbolizes fun, excitement, honor, and heartbreak to me as the 1 1/4 mile race brings so many people to Kentucky to watch the excitement and with many bets on the line, heartbreak surely happens fast.


Twenty horses take part in the race following a two week Derby Festival. These horses are bred to be winners and trainers have gone through grueling hours to get them to this event with the odds against them to be the winner. The hope of winning is what makes them train as they do. Three year old horses are brought to the race with hopes of winning the Derby, then the Preakness, and then the Belmont to become a triple crown winner, but every horse owner and jockey present know that the chances of that happening are slim.

Many bets are placed on these horses and money seems to be no object at the Derby, but in reality there is quite a lot riding on these horses and for some people this race is a run to victory and for others it is a huge loss. I have been researching this year and although, I won't bet, I thought that I would share the odds for the race.

1. War of Will (15-1)
2. Tax (20-1)
3. By My Standards (15-1)
4. Gray Magician (50-1)
5. Improbable (5-1)
6. Vekoma (15-1)
7. Maximum Security (8-1)
8. Tacitus (8-1)
9. Plus Que Parfait (30-1)
10. Cutting Humor (30-1)
11. Haikal (30-1)
12. Code of Honor (12-1)
13. Win Win Win (12-1)
14. Master Fencer (50-1)
15. Game Winner (9-2)
16. Roadster (5-1)
17. Long Range Toddy (30-1)
18. Spinoff (30-1)
19. Country House (30-1)
20. Bodexpress (30-1)

Game Winner, Improbable and Roadster are favored to win as they are trained by Bob Baffert, a trainer that has 5 career Derby wins. I personally, like the horse Improbable. 

However, I like the name Grey Magician and although his odds are not good, I would like to take a chance on him. 

( I can't get this post to line out right now, so I am going to close.) Whichever horse you choose to win, comment below and we will see how many of us should bet and who should not. 







Comments

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment and I will gladly read all of your comments and do my best to respond.

Popular posts from this blog

A Grandson

Something is Falling From The Sky

Happy Homemaker Monday - Jan. 15,2024