Country Apple Pie Recipe

A few days ago, a friend of my daughter's brought us a couple of sacks of apples that came from a local orchard. He gets the ones that are left at the end of the season to feed his horses and other livestock. Some of them are still really good apples and so he thought that I would enjoy them. I ate several of them and they were so tender and such delicious apples!

On Tuesday, I decided that I would make an apple pie. I decided that I would share my recipe and success here with each of you. Here is the results of that sharing:


COUNTRY APPLE PIE RECIPE
 2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
dash of salt
8 med. apples
2 tblsp. butter



The first step is to prepare your crust. I am not great at making homemade crust so I go for a quick second place to that and use a Jiffy brand pie shell mix. It is simple to use as you add about 5 tblsp. of water to the mix and blend with a fork.
Once I get it mixed, then I always get my floured surface ready to roll the crust out. I prefer to use my portable kitchen island for that purpose.
 
Once your surface is ready, you split your pie crust mix into two equal size balls. One is for the bottom crust and the other is to be used for lattice strips for the top.

Roll crust to fit into your pie pan and once it is the thickness and size you want, place into pie plate.
My next step is to get out the ingredients that I need to make the filling for the pie.

  This next photo is just to show off the cute measuring cups that I was using.
Next combine the dry ingredients and stir together in a bowl . Once that is done, set aside. Peel and cut the apples. It is best to cut into thin slices, but since these were a little softer than I normally use, I just cut into pieces with a few slices mixed in. I always add the apples into the pie pan just to see how full my pie shell needs to be.
 
 

 
 Now pour those apples into the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir together well. Then pour apples back into the pie shell.

 

 
 My next step is to make my lattice strips by rolling other ball of dough out and cutting into strips. I use a pizza cutter to cut mine. I think the lattice strips just make a prettier pie.
Before I add the strips to the top. I use the 2 tblsp. of butter to cut into small squares that I place on top of the pie filling to add some liquid to the pie while it is baking.
Once the butter is on. I place the strips of crust onto the top and pinch the edges to help seal them as the pie bakes. Some people cover the edges with aluminum foil when they make two crust pies so that the edge does not get dark, but we don't mind the dark edges so I do not.



 
 Now bake for 50 minutes at 425 degrees. The result will be a delicious pie!
I usually place a little milk and sugar mix onto the top of the lattice with a pastry brush just to make the pie a golden brown.

Now, if I had a friend to come sip coffee and chit chat with me I would be set. My family will enjoy the end results though. Vanilla ice cream on top certainly makes the perfect dessert for the cold evenings we are having.

 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Grandson

Something is Falling From The Sky

Happy Homemaker Monday - 1/8/24