Reader Update

 Hi! I'm hoping with this post I can catch you all up on life around the funny farm. 



My mom is still battling the infection that sent her to the ER. Fights with insurance has been the norm here and since we could not keep her in the Rehab center, I had to admit her to the facility to be placed into skilled nursing. She can not safely come home and be here if she would be alone. I am hoping this is a temporary placing, but I truly am not sure. 

The farm is busy. We have added some new chickens ( which is another story) and some more turkeys. We have built a turkey coop and we have made some rabbit hutches home to some new chickens for the time being. I have quail eggs and I am hoping to purchase an incubator that will allow me to raise some of my own and hopefully sell a few chickens as well. 

The garden is planted and I am working on finding a spot that I feel comfortable having a compost bin. I am also planning to add some new wildflowers to the homestead and I am learning some more about making some new jams and jellies. My daughter has made dandelion syrup, rosebud jelly, and a couple of other interesting items recently that I may learn to do as well. 

I am reading up on how to can as I have never done that other than once with my daughter. I am hoping to can several things this year and I hope to have a wonderful harvest so that we are able to eat from the garden most of the winter. With food prices rising and the price of so many other things increasing almost daily it seems, we need to do our part on learning to do more of our own. Of course, my husband can hunt and so the meat sources are not going to be an issue if needed. 

We are making some changes to our barn as well. Since we no longer have horses, I am hoping to add a goat or two and another cow to the farm. I would also like to have sheep, although I don't know much about them. I do know sheep farmers though and I am sure I could learn a lot. I truly am wanting to become a much better homesteader this year. Life has just gotten in the way so much. 

My office is ready for my Pink Zebra stuff to be moved into. It is not fully finished, but it is enough that I can start the process. Events seem to not be as successful at the moment and the economy is the biggest hurdle at the moment. We have our annual reunion (training) in July and I am excited to be going and my best friends are going with me. 

Well, the husband is up and wanting to ask questions about what I have accomplished with chickens and the home today, so I will close for now. I will be reading many of your blogs today though. Take care! 





Comments

  1. My, you are one busy lady on your homestead. Seems your entire post is about HOPE. Its so difficult to take care of our family and parents. Mine are long gone but I remember those days. Hope you get the answers you need from insurance and placement for your Mom.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment and I will gladly read all of your comments and do my best to respond.

Popular posts from this blog

A Grandson

Something is Falling From The Sky

Happy Homemaker Monday - Jan. 15,2024