The Favorite Daughter - Book Review - Fall Reading Challenge

Hello and welcome readers! This is a new type of post for me, but I would very much like to attempt to begin reviewing books as I read them.




 TITLE - the favorite daughter

SERIES- No

PAGES - 348

DATE PUBLISHED - June 2019

PUBLISHER -Berkley

BLURB - Ten years ago, Lena Donohue experienced a wedding-day betrayal so painful that she fled the small town of Watersend, South Carolina, and reinvented herself in New York City. Though she's now a freelance travel writer, the one place she rarely goes is home- until she learns of her dad's failing health. 

Returning to Watersend means seeing the sister she has avoided for a decade and the brother who runs the family's Irish pub and who has borne the burden of his sisters' rift. While Alzheimer's slowly steals their father's memories, the siblings rush to preserve his life in stories and in photographs. As his secret past brings Lena's own childhood into focus, it sends her on a journey to discover the true meaning of home. 


MY THOUGHTS

 I am reading this book as book one in my Fall Reading Challenge, which you can learn more about here.  I have never read anything by Patti Callahan Henry, so I really wasn't sure what to expect from her as an author. However, I will be adding her to my list of authors that I would like to learn a little more about. 

This book brought with it an storyline that began with a serious betrayal by one sister that was almost unimaginable. I found that I had a hard time reading this book at first as the storyline seemed a little boring at first. However, the book dealt with a family struggling with a recent Alzheimer's diagnosis and I really wanted to see how the author handled the way that affects a family and not just the person that is struggling with it. I believe, the author presented the facts of the disease on a family quite accurately and with a sense of understanding. 

Once the storyline began to unfold and the real story began to emerge, the book was almost a " do not lay me down" story, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Many parts of the book came as a surprise and when Lena learns of her true home and family, it is an ending that won't be easily forgotten. 

I highly recommend this book. I am looking forward to reading another book by Patti Callahan Henry and I am adding The Bookshop at Water's End to my reading list. I hope you will locate this book and enjoy it as much as I did.

Comments

  1. I love writing review for the books I read and hope you enjoy it also. You did a very nice job! Thanks for joining in the Fall Into Reading Challenge 2019!

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I would like to do this type of work for some compensation, but never have known how to approach that.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It was a good book, but a little slow read at first

      Delete

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment and I will gladly read all of your comments and do my best to respond.

Popular posts from this blog

A Grandson

Something is Falling From The Sky

Happy Homemaker Monday - 1/8/24