Hunting Season

Alas! Deer season is in full effect in Indiana today. Of course, there are many times of the year that different animal and weapon seasons are in effect. Today is the first day of gun season for deer for the year. The weather is not perfect for hunting as it is very windy and warm.

My husband woke up at 4:30 a.m. to be in the woods before sun rise and will probably spend a majority of the day there unless the storms that we are being predicted arrive. I don't mind as it gives me a chance to be up early and get some things done after he leaves and before my mom gets up. I have managed to vacuum and dust the living room, change the doilies on my tables to Christmas ones, clean the kitchen counter, find Christmas curtains, and straightened up some of the toys that the grand had drug out yesterday.

My husband is not a trophy hunter. He doesn't care about the antlers and the deer head to hang on the wall. He won't kill a baby or a young doe, but the adults are for the taking. He will process the deer himself and we will add the meat to the freezer. I know many that do not like hunting and many who think that it is wrong, but humans have hunted for the their food forever. The Indians were only fed by hunting.


My husband does a great job of keeping the meat from having a wild, gamy taste and I appreciate that. I can fix a roast from venison and a beef roast and no one would ever know the difference. I don't do it without telling guests but I could. If the meat is not gamy and it is seasoned right, there truly is not much difference other than the venison is much leaner.

I am not sure of how long this season lasts, but I am sure there will be many more early mornings for him and I. Once that alarm goes off, I am up and since there is always something to be done around here, I will gladly take advantage of the time.

I am headed out with friends later and will work on my Pink Zebra business later as well. Have a great Saturday!!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Grandson

Something is Falling From The Sky

Book Review - The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner