Security Shattered

No, I have not fallen from the face of the earth. The flu hit our house hard on Sunday and my granddaughter and I both have been so sick from it. My daughter has been lucky enough to avoid it at all costs. My husband has been coughing quite a bit which concerns me considering he has breathing issues anyway. But that is not what this post is about. It is about security shattered.

Why? You ask. Yesterday was a day that shattered my security is such a way that I am not sure I will ever truly feel safe even here in my safe little corner of the world again. Less than a half mile down the road yesterday, they were searching for a young man that had shot a police officer yesterday morning. Fortunately, the officer was not killed or even seriously injured, but the young man is now wanted on resisting law enforcement and attempted murder. So sad! Sad, but shook my inner sense of security and safety. The shooting did not happen near us, but the search for him did as his last known address was less than a half mile from our home. As many of you are aware, we do not live on a main road and we do not live near any large town. Recently, two homes on our road have came up for sale and it has been upsetting for me as our "neighborhood" as it was, has changed, Many new cars and people have been down our road lately and into our "home safety zone".

For the time we have lived here, we are in such a rural area, that it just seemed as though we were safe. Safe to allow our children to wander free in the woods around the home, free to walk the gravel road, free to leave our windows open, and free to leave our doors unlocked during the day while we are home. Now to know that an attempted cop killer was being searched for and could be near to us is just a shock.

As I was learning of this search, I was also learning of a workplace shooting that took place several miles from us but still in an area that is considered rural and a small town. Cummins, in Seymour, Indiana was being rocked by an attack that took place on the second floor of one of their buildings when a man shot his boss and then took his own life. How sad that he turned to violence to solve whatever issue was between the two men. How sad that a father and husband was taken by violence. How sad that people feel that taking one's life is a way to solve any issue. People, it is time that we need to learn to be nice to one another!

Our world needs peace and our world needs people to consider how others feel and realize that everything is not about me. We need to teach our children to be nice and teach others to be nice. We need to be nice! We need to look at how we can help others rather than what we can get out of a situation. I have just been shocked to the core that this much violence has happened within less than 100 miles of my home and my secure little corner of the world.

Yes, we have heard of workplace violence for years, but it has always been another town, another state, someplace else. What brings this to me the most is that I know someone that is personally affected from this workplace shooting and that hits hard. It is my area, it is my state, it is my world. Truly sad and shocking!

As you read this and you begin to settle down this evening, say an extra thank you to whomever you worship that you are alive, hug your spouse, child, partner, or friend a little longer tonight, tell them you love them and remember to never allow your child to go to school or work or your significant other to walk out the door without saying " I Love You", you may never have the chance again!

To all my readers and friends, "I appreciate you and love you! "

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Grandson

Something is Falling From The Sky

Happy Homemaker Monday - Jan. 15,2024