Healthy Breakfast Option

With the new year upon us, one of my resolutions was to eat healthier. I have always liked oatmeal and known that it was good for me, but just never really took the time to fix it. I have also made a commitment to add more dairy products to my diet and one of those choices was yogurt. I had tried it a few times, but never liked it and so just refused to eat it.

A friend of mine had suggested that I try it as a smoothie. I did that and found that if I added fresh berries or bananas to it along with spinach and a little milk, I could eat some of it. I had these for several mornings in a row before I decided that I wanted a warmer and more filling meal for mornings that I leave home for work. I remembered that my grandmother always fixed oatmeal for us in the winter and said it would "stick to your bones". A warm and healthy option sounded like what I needed to face this cold winter that we are having.

I did not want to buy the flavored packages of instant oatmeal, but I did want to add some flavor of my own. I decided the first morning that I would add cinnamon and a little nutmeg to it and that was nice. I always use a little Half and Half as well when I eat it. I know that is not a necessarily health option, but it is what I like to add for liquid to it after it is cooked. After a couple of mornings, I also wondered about adding yogurt and some other food items to it. I decided that I would make it with strawberries and blueberries as that was what I had on hand. I also added a teaspoon of vanilla yogurt and cut the liquid it it. I only added cinnamon to it as to spice it up a little. I must say that it was not a bad choice as I found that it was quite tasty!

Since that first experimenting, I have added strawberries and bananas with strawberry- banana yogurt, cranberries and plain yogurt or vanilla yogurt, strawberries and cranberries with varied flavors of yogurt and even added many spices with it. I even added nutmeg with the cranberries. I am finding that I can add many different fruits along with spices and yogurt and make a meal that is healthy and filling. I would suggest that you try small amounts of anything new that you add and then, if you find something that you like, you can add more to it as your taste would find appealing.

In these days of so many additives being in our foods, it is nice to find a wholesome and delicious breakfast choice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Grandson

Something is Falling From The Sky

Happy Homemaker Monday - Jan. 15,2024