Laundry Ideas and Recipes

For several years now, I have made my own laundry soap to save us money and to make our soap a little more environmentally friendly. I personally really like the detergent that I make and I think that it is just as good if not a little better than the detergent that I used to purchase at the store. I also have found a much "greener" solution for fabric softner.
I am not sure of where I first seen the recipe for the laundry soap, but I know that it is on the Duggar Family website. Here is the recipe that I use and I have changed it a little bit to what is published on the web in many other places.

LAUNDRY SOAP RECIPE
1 bar of Ivory Soap , grated
1/2 bar of Fels Naptha soap, grated
1/2 cup Borax powder
1 cup of Arm and Hammer Washing Soda

Combine these ingredients into a medium pan and add about 4 cups of water. Boil for about 10 minutes stirring constantly. Pour this into a 5 gallon bucket and fill bucket with cool water. Stir a few times and let set for 24 hours. Stir again. Pour into empty laundry soap jugs or empty, cleaned gallon milk jugs.
This recipe will allow you to make 5 gallons of detergent for about $1.80- $2.00. This is much cheaper than buying laundry detergent. It works as well as Tide or any other store bought detergent.

Another laundry aid is vinegar. I have found that vinegar works well as a fabric softener when added to the washer. I have used this for several months and my clothes are soft and free of static, and do not smell like vinegar. Also, a great "green" addition to laundry can be adding a little baking soda or vanilla extract to your water to aid with odors that might be on the clothing.

Each of these ideas is a fairly cheaper idea and works well with other fabrics. Neither of these are hard to prepare and will not harm your clothing or your budget.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Grandson

Something is Falling From The Sky

Happy Homemaker Monday - Jan. 15,2024